The Generation 5.8 is the Fifth Generation of the popular wire grinding series manufactured by Royal Master. Introduced in 2000, we have manufactured over 175 units and counting. Shipped worldwide these “workhorses of the industry” have gotten rave reviews since the first one was introduced into production.
Based on the TG-12x4 platform, we have made some significant upgrades over the last few years including upgrading of the ram positioning system to a closed loop system. Using a servo motor to position the ram with a .1 micron glass scale ram positioning is down to .000010” (.025mm). Also upgraded is the regulating wheel drive system. With a direct coupled servo drive, we are able to keep tolerances to well under .0001” in production.
This machine gained its stellar reputation by being a low maintenance robust system for grinding wires. Its high-volume productivity, ease of set-up and low operating cost makes it an ideal choice for high volume guidewire production today.
The grinding systems principle is pretty straightforward. We track the end of the precut wire with a sensing system. This patented sliding sensing system houses pixel technology where the back end of the wire is tracked every .0025” (.0635mm). This translates to linear tolerances on wires to +/-.040” in production grinding environments. Essentially it acts like an optical encoder that moves the ram bed with a corresponding pixel on the eyebar. This optical encoder principle allows for linear tapers, crisp transitions, and no chance of non-linear tapers. Parabolic Tapers although are programmable into the control as well as paddle wires.
The Generation 5 series of grinders have 12” diameter grinding wheels, and 6” diameter Regulating wheels, giving longer life between dressing, faster grinding rates and producing quality wires. The machine uses both conventional grinding wheels as well as super-abrasive wheels form a number of different manufacturers.
The Generation 5 Series of machine’s accuracy comes from a machine that was designed around the automotive and aerospace industries where accuracy and durability are primary objectives. The longevity of the Royal Master systems is world renowned as many of our first systems are still grinding production wires. The Generation 5 series is a results-orientated guidewire grinder. They STILL just sit there and make wires, day after day.
We have introduced a new controls system for the Generation 5 to include a Parker Pac system to make the operator experience more user friendly. Using a 24” operator touchscreen orientated vertically, the operator is able to have three screens open at once allowing for seamless interaction. Other notable features of the system are the following:
- Granite Machine Bed for better coolant containment and incorporation of Hi-Accuracy system components
- Built-in capability for Acoustic Emissions sensing and Automatic Grinding Wheel Balancing
- 24” Touch Screen with the three-panel operator interface
- Windows 10 Operator Interface
- PAC Control with Eithercat control
- Customizable Machine Operator Screens
- Password Protection for operator, Technician and Engineer Levels
- 1.6 Gigahertz Processor
- Ram and Reg Wheel Drives are Compax 3 Dual Loop with Feedback Monitoring the motor and Motion for consistence and Smooth Operation
- Heidenhein Glass Scale .1 Micron with Closed Loop Feedback
- Computer is 2.4 Gigahertz processor with 8GB Memory and a 120Gigabyte Hard Drive
- Anti-Friction cross Rollerways on Ram Bed
- Schneebergeer Ball Screw